Sunday 19 June 2011

It's Gonna Be A Long Walk Home

As I reached 12, I had already fell under the spell of music deeply. I'd started to move away from Glam but everything was guitar based.

On the Monday of Release, my dad brought home Springsteens's Born To Run. I hadn't paid much attention to the previous Boss albums that were in the house and as my dad quickly got the album on the Stereo, I was a bit more irritated that I couldn't hear the program I was watching on TV after school.

Suddenly, the Jungleland Solo started, the television became secondary, I was completely enthralled.

36 Years on, that solo still sounds as wonderful as it did on that day.

My tastes developed into Prog and I can listen to Jazz, Big Band and non Brass stuff such as Classical as easy now as my beloved Guitar music.

36 Years On, I still remember that evening and how that solo awakened my curiosity for what was out there.

My dad died in 1980 and never fullfilled his yearning to see Springsteen Live. He'd seen probably everyone he wanted to live except Springsteen. He was at the Cavern at the very start of The Beatles shows, he's seen his beloved Dylan in 1966 at the legendary Judas show, but not The Boss.

So twelve months on, it was with a heavy heart that I attended the Newcastle and Manchester shows on The River Tour.

The shows were magnificent, but I was transfixed by Clarence Clemons.

His Coolness and his ability to turn an instrument that was usually used for freeform noodling into a melodic wonderful solo, opened my eyes and properly introduced the Saxophone into the Rock Canon.

No longer was it backing fodder, it was just as important as the guitar.

Rest In Peace Big Man, your contribution to Popular Music should never be underestimated.

No comments:

Post a Comment